- 1 medium globe eggplant or 2 long eggplants, cut into ½-inch-thick cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ pounds boneless beef rib-eye, cut into 1- to 1½-inch cubes
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup minced onion
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 24 fresh sweet bay leaves
- 6 metal or wooden skewers, soaked in water if wooden
In a bowl, combine the eggplant cubes and beef with the olive oil, minced garlic and onion and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Turn several times and set aside to marinate for about 20 minutes.
On a skewer, slide a cube of eggplant, then a fresh bay leaf, then a cube of beef. Continue until you have 5 meat cubes. Repeat the process with the other skewers.
Heat a gas grill or build a wood or charcoal fire in a barbecue. When the grill or barbecue is ready, wipe the rack with oil, place the skewers on the grill and cook until browning can be seen along the sides, about 5 minutes. Turn and grill the other side. Push the meat with your finger. When it offers little or no resistance, remove.
About this recipe
EDITOR’S NOTE: Fresh sweet bay laurel can be ordered from Georgeanne Brennan’s online culinary marketplace LaVieRustic.com.