- 16.5 ounces (or 2¼ cups) powdered sugar (not sifted)
- 11 ounces (or 2¾ cups) walnuts, chopped
- 2.3 ounces (or ¾ cup) cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4.5 ounces (or approximately 4) egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- (Note: Weight preferred for measuring ingredients, but volume is fine if you do not have a kitchen scale.)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Spray 2 half-sheet pans with baking spray and line with parchment paper. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix together all dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix on low until glossy and just incorporated. Do not over-mix. Using a small cookie or ice cream scoop, scoop cookies onto the lined baking pan. Leave at least 2” space between cookies as they spread quite a lot during baking. Place no more than 8 cookies per sheet pan.
Work quickly. For best results, these cookies should be baked immediately after scooping. When 1 sheet pan is ready, place it directly in the oven, followed by the second tray.
Bake for about 20 minutes, rotating halfway through. The cookies should feel set all the way through, with just the slightest give in the center. Under-baked cookies will be difficult to remove from the parchment. To avoid sticking, cookies should be completely cool before removing from sheet pans.