- FOR THE PARMESAN-ANCHOVY TOAST:
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
- 4 anchovies
- Pinch of lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch of finishing salt such as Maldon
- 4-–6 slices of Ssourdough bread
- FOR THE FRISEE SALAD:
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, brushed clean, stems removed
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, brushed clean, stems removed
- 8 ounces oyster mushrooms, brushed clean
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 (2-inch) strip lemon zest, plus remaining zest, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 bunch frisée, washed and dried
- 1/2½ cup flat -leaf parsley, roughly chopped
For the Frisée sSalad:
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F. Cut the shiitake and cremini into thick slices, and cut the oyster mushrooms into broad strips. Add the shallot and toss gently. Place on a sheet pan.? Drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil and all but 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest. Turn vegetables to coat. Sprinkle with 1/2½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper. Bake for 15 minutes, shaking halfway through, until mushrooms have released juices and started to crisp on the edges.
To make the vinaigrette, combine the lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and zest in a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil. Add the salt and whisk again.
Place the frisée and parsley in a large salad bowl. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of salad dressing, and turn leaves to coat. Next, toss in the mushrooms and shallots. Toss with a bit more dressing. Taste to check seasoning and add more salt and pepper, as needed.
For the Parmesan-Anchovy Toast:
Make the Parmesan- aAnchovy butter by mixing together the softened butter, crushed garlic, grated Parmesan, anchovies, lemon zest and juice in a small mixing bowl until it becomes a fine paste.
Spread a generous amount of the Parmesan-Anchovy butter on the slices of sourdough bread and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Toast for about 6 minutes, or until toasted and slightly browned.
Serve the salad accompanied by the toast.
Yield: 4-–6 servings