- 4 cups half and half
- 1 tablespoon coffee beans, coarsely cracked
- 4 pieces orange peel (each 2 inches long), removed with a vegetable peeler, no pith
- 6 ounces excellent-quality 80% chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon chile de arbol
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chile
- 1 tablespoon piloncillo
- 3/4 cup Mexican hot chocolate mix
- 1/4 cup añejo tequila
Place all of the ingredients except the tequila in a saucepan and heat until the chocolate is melted and it bubbles around the edges. Watch closely and do not allow this to boil. Turn off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Return the pan to the burner and heat again until bubbles form around the edges. Strain and discard the orange peel and coffee beans. Add the tequila. Keep warm and serve immediately.
*Specialty ingredients may be sourced from most Hispanic markets in the Bay Area.
Recipes courtesy of Copita Tequileria y Comida in Sausalito.