- 4 pounds ripe summer tomatoes, cored, seeded and chopped and juice reserved
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red beet, cooked and peeled
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 generous tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1½ cups olive oil, plus additional for garnish
- 3 avocados, peeled, pits removed and sliced
In a nonreactive bowl, combine tomatoes and their juice, cucumber, garlic, bell pepper, beet, red onion, lemon juice, sherry vinegar, salt and pepper.
Use your hands or a potato masher to crush the ingredients slightly.
Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
Transfer the mixture to a blender in batches, and purée. While blending the last batch, slowly pour in the olive oil. Strain the soup through a fine—mesh sieve into a clean bowl. Taste the soup and add salt, pepper and /or vinegar, as needed.
Ladle in to bowls and garnish with avocado and a drizzle of olive oil.