- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1-–2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 small shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus ½ teaspoon, plus a pinch
- 1 cup green lentils
- 2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 head curly endive, roughly chopped
- 4-–6 fried eggs
Place the olive oil in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Sauté the onion, carrot, celery and shallots for a few minutes, until tender. Add the fresh herbs and 2 teaspoons of the salt, and sauté a few more minutes. Add the green lentils and water, and mix well. Cover and cook on medium- low until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
After the lentils are just about cooked, place a little olive oil in a medium sauté pan on medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté a few seconds, until fragrant. Add the chopped curly endive and sauté a few minutes, until tender. Season with a pinch of salt.
To serve, place a large spoonful of the lentil stew on a plate and top with sautéed curly endive and a fried egg.
Find local chicories from Marin Roots Farms, County Line Harvest, Star Route Farms and others at the Marin Civic Center in San Rafael Thursdays and Sundays at 8am – 1pm.
Yield: 4-–6 servings